Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2020

TINUNGBO: Exotic Cooking Of The North

One of the Bago tribe communities in the Northern Philippines is the Municipality of San Emilio, Province of Ilocos Sur. Adjacent to this is the historical municipality of Del Pilar, named after General Gregorio Del Pilar where he succumbed in a battle during the Philippine-American War in the 1890s.

I like this place, the green mountain trails around it, valleys, rivers, and springs. I once joined excitedly my grandfather in his swidden farm or what we call Uma(or Kaingin) when I was 12 years old. It was my first time to see my grandfather since birth. We walked for about an hour to reach the place.  


                             
                                           Mangmangga Trails

I was so willing to join him because, in reality, it was my first time to walk or trek inside a green jungle. I was amazed at all the things that I observe and see around me. All I hear is the noise formed on our way through, the sound of birds, and insects.


Through the Kaingin

It was about noontime when we arrived. We have to take our lunch then work will follow after. My grandfather only has uncooked rice and salt in his old bamboo crafted backpack, all is natural. As we arrived, he gathered dried tree branches and a fresh and matured large bamboo piece. We gathered water snails, few crabs and shrimps from the shallow waters coming from a spring beside us, picked ripe wild tomato berries and we went up back to his camp. Then he started preparing two sets of fresh bamboo trunks with both end nodes left uncut. 
He poured rice and water to the first bamboo trunk, then the freshwater snails, crabs, and shrimps to the other. He did all things then we ate. What a meal! I liked so much the taste and aroma, perfectly fresh, delicious, and exotic!

Filling rice in one bamboo node

Every time I go home here, it is always my request to have one. The above photo shows my uncle Agustin, filling rice in all the bamboo cuts.


Cooking on firewoods

Then next is to set them on slow fire. The bamboo cuts filled with rice are turned once in a while to evenly cook the rice. The bamboo opening is filled with a cover so that there will be no spill.

The Tinungbo rice is now ready for serving

When the outer color of the bamboo is already dark, knowing the rice inside is already cooked, it is set to cool off for few minutes, and the rice may now be taken out of the bamboo for serving. 

And this ends another story about one of my best experiences living from where my grandparents once lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment